Skip to main content

Open Water Swim Wish List


Just found this list of 50 great open water swims (one in each state) and had to share. Oh, to have the time.

Alabama – That Dam Swim in Muscle Shoals
Alaska – Pennock Island Challenge in Ketchikan
Arizona – Arizona Open Water Series in Pleasant Harbor Marina
Arkansas - DeGray Lake Open Water Swim in Bismarck
California – Trans Tahoe Relay in Lake Tahoe
Colorado– Horsetooth Long Distance Swim in Fort Collins
Connecticut – St. Vincent's Swim Across The Sound in Bridgeport
Delaware– Lums Pond State Park in Bear
Florida – Swim Around Key West in Key West
Georgia – SwimForYourLife in Lake Lanier in Atlanta
Hawaii – North Shore Swim Series in Honolulu on Oahu
Idaho – Lake Coeur d'Alene in Coeur d'Alene
Illinois – Big Shoulders in Lake Michigan
Indiana – Masters Championships in Morse Reservoir in Noble
Iowa – Lake Okoboji in the Iowa Great Lakes Region
Kansas – Shawnee Mission Park in Shawnee
Kentucky – Cave Run Lake south of Morehead
Louisiana– Aqualung Open Water Swim in Bush
Maine – Peaks Island to East End Beach in Portland
Maryland – Great Chesapeake Bay Swim
Massachusetts – Boston Light Swim in Boston Harbor
Michigan – Mackinac Island on Lake Huron
Minnesota – Lake Minnetonka near Minneapolis-St. Paul
Mississippi – Gator Bait in Eagle Lake in Vicksburg
Missouri – Swimming' in Moonshine Open Water Swim in Table Rock Dam in Branson
Montana – Whitefish Lake Open Water Swim near Glacier National Park
Nebraska – Cornhusker State Games in Holmes Park in Lincoln
Nevada – Slam the Dam in Las Vegas
New Hampshire – Squam Lake near Lake Winnipesaukee
New Jersey – Pageant Ocean Swim on Absecon Island in Atlantic City
New Mexico – Mescalero Lake
New York – Lake Minnewaska near New Paltz
North Carolina – Triangle Open Water Swim Series in Jordan Lake
Ohio – Ohio Open Water Championships in East Fork Lake in Batavia
Oklahoma – Tallchief Open Water Swim in Sand Springs
Oregon – Cascade Lakes Swim Series in Elk Lake
Pennsylvania – Search for Monongy in the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh
Rhode Island – Second Beach Swim in Sachuest Beach in Middletown
South Carolina – Death Valley Open Water in Hartwell Lake in Clemson
South Dakota – Sylvan Lake in the Black Hills
Tennessee – Swim the Suck in Tennessee River Gorge in Chattanooga
Texas – Highland Lakes Challenge in Austin
Utah – Deer Creek Open Water Marathon Swim near Heber City
Vermont – Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog in Newport
Virginia - Jim McDonnell Lake Swims in Lake Audubon in Reston
Washington – Fat Salmon Swim in Lake Washington in Seattle
West Virginia – Summit Lake near Richwood
Wisconsin – Manitou Monster Lake Swim in New Auburn
Wyoming – Jenny Lake in Gran Teton National Park

Comments

Irene Jennings said…
I love the "Fat Salmon Swimming in Lake Washington" event. I've been there in last 2 years. It's really fun to join the swimming competition. Skagway Fishing Charter

Popular posts from this blog

Oxygen Depletion

I hate fins. Why, as a soccer player, I can't kick or use my legs in the pool, I don't know. But I can't kick. I seem to go backwards when no fins are on my feet, and I feel like my lungs are going to explode when I do use fins. Go figure. Today I'm also losing my left big toenail, which is always a fun sensation while finning. *warm up: 300 free, 200 back to breast, 100 kick, 50 strong add fins for: *3 x 50's free on TIGHT interval (35 s) 150 recovery *3 x 100's free on TIGHT interval (1:10) 150 recovery *3 x 150's on TIGHT interval 150 recovery *3 x 200's on TIGHT interval remove fins for: *150 easy *2 x 50's hard repeat 2x

Tell me about yourself...

This is fun. I don't get to swim on Wednesdays so here's some (mostly) non-swimming information about me that I hope you will not use inappropriately against me. It's really fun to answer these questions if only for yourself. Do it. Then post them here because I'd love to know more about all of you! 1.) Q. Can you cook? A. Well, I can read, so I can follow a recipe. Can I make anything without a recipe? Yes: Cinnamon toast. 2.) Q. What was your dream growing up? A. To be happy. 3.) Q. What talent do you wish you had? A. I wish I could sing, big time! 4.) Q. Favorite place? A. California (home) 5.) Q. Favorite vegetable? A. Sweet Potato 6.) Q. What was the last book you read? A. To my kids: The Important Book, to myself: Slow Man 7.) Q. What zodiac sign are you? A. Sagittarius, but I put zero stock in signs 8.) Q. Any tattoo's or piercings? A. Yes, both 9.) Q. Worst habit? A. Never cleaning out my car 10.) Q. If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a

A Mile of Butterfly

No, this is not what we did this morning (thank G-d). But I have to give kudos where kudos are due, to Frances and Peter (and if there was someone else someone please enlighten me) for doing a mile of butterfly at the Rinconada meet on Saturday. Rebecca Pinto likes to call this meet the Rinky Dink Meet but, as I'm sure she would agree, there's nothing dinky about 1650 yards of butterfly. Frances and Peter both completed the event in less than 30 minutes. That's about 4 days and 23.5 hours less than swimming a mile of fly would take me. I'm in awe. Here's what we did this morning: *300 free followed by 2x25 kick *300 free followed by 2x50 quick free ~ All free, all broken in half for 2-5 seconds to check time and try to match split on second half. (Interval for Lane 2, on 1:30 base): *1x400 *2x300 *3x200 *4x100 ~ *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three ~ *4x25 fast free with