Skip to main content

Beware the Buoys

One of my dearest friends did a gorgeous and well-run triathlon this past weekend in Marin. But, he had a near-death experience while attempting to round a buoy in a seriously strong current. So many of us do open water swims, with these buoys that are the size of Volkswagon buses. (I think race directors should make certain that there is a kayak by each buoy now, knowing what can happen). My friend's story was a good reminder for me to avoid getting stuck near a buoy (as I usually cut that turn super close to minimize my swim time), as well as to appreciate how dangerous the races we do are, in general, and to always be physically prepared when I go into a race. My friend is in top physical shape, does Ironman races and all that crazy stuff lots of y'all do :). I am so thankful he is in such great shape: he needed it to save himself yesterday. I'm sharing his story below because I think it is an eye opener for all of us open water swimmers!

***
As I approached the 2nd buoy, considering the first was done, I wasn’t too worried about it - it felt pretty much like a straight line, but I still tried to stay away from it. I ended up on a beeline for the buoy (not realizing there was an angle to the current - on the approach I felt that myself and the current were going parallel to the beach...but that wasn't the case). It seemed that I was just sucked into that buoy. As I hit the buoy, I didn’t think much of it, as I’ve hit them before, and just pushed and swam around them. But not this time. The current was so strong that I caught the buoy and unknowingly the anchor rope; before I knew it I was under water. I went for a breath. It wasn't much of one, as I was immediately pulled back under. Soon I went for another breath. It, also, wasn’t much of one before I got pulled under again, but this time I knew something was wrong. I figured I had one more shot. I went for a third and got one, but was sucked back under quickly. This was it, I felt trapped – something had a hold on me. Not to be overdramatic, but yes things flashed before me - two things. First was my kids and wife, and second was "Oh No, not now, this can’t happen now". Never before in my life have I had this moment of “....oh my god, this is it....it could happen RIGHT NOW,” and I hope never to again. Just as these thoughts were happening, I realized that I was stuck on the rope - the current had pinned me to it, the buoy was keeping me under, and there was nothing I could do about it. I was almost out of air and had nothing to grab for leverage...the current was too strong for me to get unwrapped from the rope. It was the most surreal moment of my life. I didn’t know what to do, there was nothing to grab. Then, unbelievably lucky for me, someone passed above me and I grabbed him, pretty hard, and probably pulled him under, way under, because it was enough for me to get my other hand to the rope, dislodge myself, and pull myself to surface. It was the most crazy experience of my life.

Seriously, if this guy is listening, sorry to pull you under, but thank you for saving my life...there was no way I was getting out without your pull. Thank you.
***

Phew. So, this morning's workout was tough, but I spent it feeling lucky that my friend is alive. Nothing like a once-removed near-death experience to get you through some IM.

*warmup: 250 free followed by 3 x 25's fly, back, breast
repeat 2x

*4 x 50's IM order followed by 3 x 100's free descending
*2 x 100's IM followed by 3 x 100's free descending
*1 x 200 IM followed by 3 x 100's free descending

*4 x 25's IM order followed by 2 x 100's free descending
*8 x 25's IM order followed by 2 x 100's free descending
*4 x 25's IM order followed by 2 x 100's free descending

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oxygen Depletion

I hate fins. Why, as a soccer player, I can't kick or use my legs in the pool, I don't know. But I can't kick. I seem to go backwards when no fins are on my feet, and I feel like my lungs are going to explode when I do use fins. Go figure. Today I'm also losing my left big toenail, which is always a fun sensation while finning. *warm up: 300 free, 200 back to breast, 100 kick, 50 strong add fins for: *3 x 50's free on TIGHT interval (35 s) 150 recovery *3 x 100's free on TIGHT interval (1:10) 150 recovery *3 x 150's on TIGHT interval 150 recovery *3 x 200's on TIGHT interval remove fins for: *150 easy *2 x 50's hard repeat 2x

Tell me about yourself...

This is fun. I don't get to swim on Wednesdays so here's some (mostly) non-swimming information about me that I hope you will not use inappropriately against me. It's really fun to answer these questions if only for yourself. Do it. Then post them here because I'd love to know more about all of you! 1.) Q. Can you cook? A. Well, I can read, so I can follow a recipe. Can I make anything without a recipe? Yes: Cinnamon toast. 2.) Q. What was your dream growing up? A. To be happy. 3.) Q. What talent do you wish you had? A. I wish I could sing, big time! 4.) Q. Favorite place? A. California (home) 5.) Q. Favorite vegetable? A. Sweet Potato 6.) Q. What was the last book you read? A. To my kids: The Important Book, to myself: Slow Man 7.) Q. What zodiac sign are you? A. Sagittarius, but I put zero stock in signs 8.) Q. Any tattoo's or piercings? A. Yes, both 9.) Q. Worst habit? A. Never cleaning out my car 10.) Q. If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a

A Mile of Butterfly

No, this is not what we did this morning (thank G-d). But I have to give kudos where kudos are due, to Frances and Peter (and if there was someone else someone please enlighten me) for doing a mile of butterfly at the Rinconada meet on Saturday. Rebecca Pinto likes to call this meet the Rinky Dink Meet but, as I'm sure she would agree, there's nothing dinky about 1650 yards of butterfly. Frances and Peter both completed the event in less than 30 minutes. That's about 4 days and 23.5 hours less than swimming a mile of fly would take me. I'm in awe. Here's what we did this morning: *300 free followed by 2x25 kick *300 free followed by 2x50 quick free ~ All free, all broken in half for 2-5 seconds to check time and try to match split on second half. (Interval for Lane 2, on 1:30 base): *1x400 *2x300 *3x200 *4x100 ~ *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three ~ *4x25 fast free with