Skip to main content

Butter My Buoy?


I know it's going to be a good day when the morning opens with one of my muscled male teammates (fully clothed of course) opening his parka to me for warmth while listening to the warm up set. (Apparently he hadn't heard about this damning blog yet :).

Things just got better (if that's possible) from there. The fact that the main set was done with paddles didn't lessen my excitement when I heard Tim say "Eight 300's." Whooohoooo! Freestyle junkie heaven. Little did I know this uber set would also be a chance for me to improve my swim-cabulary.

After the first 300, Emmit (correct my spelling if need be) popped up during the rest period and said, "Okay. Someone buttered my buoy". Fabulous.

I don't know if Emmit made this term up or if I've just been unfortunate enough thus far in my career not to hear it, but I love it. I immediately knew exactly what he meant. This whole buoy buttering is exactly why I never, ever, use a buoy. It drives me crazy. Typically I was the one to butter my own buoy with careless flip turns, but no matter. The thing bothered me and also grossed me out (I'm not squeamish but Styrofoam that has previously been wedged into other folks' crotches doesn't hold much allure for me) so I eradicated it from my swimming repertoire.

Back to the vocabulary. Hearing the term "buttered my buoy" only made me wonder what the analogous term would be for losing a paddle. The best I could come up with during the rest of the set was "piddled my paddle". I need help. All those who can think of a term for losing a paddle that comes anywhere close to the genius of the buoy line, leave it here. I'll be the judge of the winner.

And the workout was...

*5 x 150 with the first 50 of each done as two-count drill. 5 seconds rest between 150's
*8 x 300, descending by 2 (swim first 300, match with second. descend third 300, match with fourth, etc.). We had about 25 seconds rest between 300's so whatever interval that is for your lane, do it :).
*1 x 300 broken at the 25 for 5 seconds. first 25 done as 2 count drill, second 25 hard. repeat throughout 300.

Comments

Matt said…
Always bring my own buoy. Always. Except times like now when I am in cold Finland for 2 weeks and swimming with my adopted Finnish Masters team.

I lose my paddles often, too. But I LOSE them, lose them. As in leaving them poolside and not taking them home. The term for that is "dumb" I think. Piddle sounds much better.
sarah said…
Glad to hear you're tuned in from Finland. Geezus. It's slated to be 78 degrees here this weekend. Jealous?
Nori said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah said…
darn it! thanks anne, i knew i was missing something. hold on to that shiny piece for me...that's my special Xmas/Valentine's suit. I think everyone should suit by season.

Popular posts from this blog

Oxygen Depletion

I hate fins. Why, as a soccer player, I can't kick or use my legs in the pool, I don't know. But I can't kick. I seem to go backwards when no fins are on my feet, and I feel like my lungs are going to explode when I do use fins. Go figure. Today I'm also losing my left big toenail, which is always a fun sensation while finning. *warm up: 300 free, 200 back to breast, 100 kick, 50 strong add fins for: *3 x 50's free on TIGHT interval (35 s) 150 recovery *3 x 100's free on TIGHT interval (1:10) 150 recovery *3 x 150's on TIGHT interval 150 recovery *3 x 200's on TIGHT interval remove fins for: *150 easy *2 x 50's hard repeat 2x

Tell me about yourself...

This is fun. I don't get to swim on Wednesdays so here's some (mostly) non-swimming information about me that I hope you will not use inappropriately against me. It's really fun to answer these questions if only for yourself. Do it. Then post them here because I'd love to know more about all of you! 1.) Q. Can you cook? A. Well, I can read, so I can follow a recipe. Can I make anything without a recipe? Yes: Cinnamon toast. 2.) Q. What was your dream growing up? A. To be happy. 3.) Q. What talent do you wish you had? A. I wish I could sing, big time! 4.) Q. Favorite place? A. California (home) 5.) Q. Favorite vegetable? A. Sweet Potato 6.) Q. What was the last book you read? A. To my kids: The Important Book, to myself: Slow Man 7.) Q. What zodiac sign are you? A. Sagittarius, but I put zero stock in signs 8.) Q. Any tattoo's or piercings? A. Yes, both 9.) Q. Worst habit? A. Never cleaning out my car 10.) Q. If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a

A Mile of Butterfly

No, this is not what we did this morning (thank G-d). But I have to give kudos where kudos are due, to Frances and Peter (and if there was someone else someone please enlighten me) for doing a mile of butterfly at the Rinconada meet on Saturday. Rebecca Pinto likes to call this meet the Rinky Dink Meet but, as I'm sure she would agree, there's nothing dinky about 1650 yards of butterfly. Frances and Peter both completed the event in less than 30 minutes. That's about 4 days and 23.5 hours less than swimming a mile of fly would take me. I'm in awe. Here's what we did this morning: *300 free followed by 2x25 kick *300 free followed by 2x50 quick free ~ All free, all broken in half for 2-5 seconds to check time and try to match split on second half. (Interval for Lane 2, on 1:30 base): *1x400 *2x300 *3x200 *4x100 ~ *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three ~ *4x25 fast free with