Skip to main content

Happy First Day of Coach Tim Appreciation Month

It's May 1, and MM Nori has informed me that according to USMS, May (at least May of last year) was Coach Appreciation Month. I say let's celebrate. I would be inspired to bring Tim a big hot cup of coffee to the early morning workout, but I know he doesn't drink coffee. Freak. (See, I'm appreciating him already.) Anyway, I was wondering what we could do to show the ways in which we appreciate him and I thought hey - we could express it here. I also thought hey - maybe someone else who reads this will come up with some other bright idea.

If you're reading this, leave a comment or email me directly at sarah.eisner@gmail.com with at least one thing you appreciate about Tim. (Yes, I know that there are other wonderful coaches that help us out. Judy, Rick, am I missing any? You are also appreciated. I'm just trying to focus. Everyone, give Judy or Rick a hug if you see them!)

What things does Tim do to make YOU keep coming out to swim with the Menlo Masters? At the end (nearly) of the month I'll compile them and write about our collective appreciation of Tim in this blog.

As for me, I definitely come out for the dry sense of humor and sarcasm. I think I might vomit if I had an overly peppy coach at 5:45 AM. Tim somehow brings just the right mix of inspirational shoving and "hey whatever" attitude to the pool in those still-dark hours and I am thankful. He hardly ever starts the workout off with a belly laugh and a smile and I like it that way. Please. If he was that happy to be standing out on the deck before the sun rises with two or more hours of verbal instruction ahead of him I would seriously question his sanity.

Your turn.

Today's workout:
*750 free done as:
5 lengths comfy, 1 length strong
5 lengths comfy, 2 lengths strong
5 lengths comfy, 3 lengths strong
5 lengths comfy, 4 lengths strong

freestyle
*200 (four of these lengths are of drill: touch opposite butt cheek (thanks to Haim for clarifying that this is your OWN butt cheek you are instructed to touch (darn)), zipper to armpit, underwater recovery, weak side breathing)
*400 (eight lengths are drills above)
*600 (twelve lengths are drills above)

freestyle kicking patterns
*75 (one length one beat kick, one length two beat kick, one length four beat kick)
*150 (two of each)
*225 (three of each)
*300 (four of each)

finish with 4 x 100 on the 1:30 (L2)

Comments

Emmit said…
PATIENCE--That's one of the main aspects of Tim that has impressed me.

Popular posts from this blog

Oxygen Depletion

I hate fins. Why, as a soccer player, I can't kick or use my legs in the pool, I don't know. But I can't kick. I seem to go backwards when no fins are on my feet, and I feel like my lungs are going to explode when I do use fins. Go figure. Today I'm also losing my left big toenail, which is always a fun sensation while finning. *warm up: 300 free, 200 back to breast, 100 kick, 50 strong add fins for: *3 x 50's free on TIGHT interval (35 s) 150 recovery *3 x 100's free on TIGHT interval (1:10) 150 recovery *3 x 150's on TIGHT interval 150 recovery *3 x 200's on TIGHT interval remove fins for: *150 easy *2 x 50's hard repeat 2x

Tell me about yourself...

This is fun. I don't get to swim on Wednesdays so here's some (mostly) non-swimming information about me that I hope you will not use inappropriately against me. It's really fun to answer these questions if only for yourself. Do it. Then post them here because I'd love to know more about all of you! 1.) Q. Can you cook? A. Well, I can read, so I can follow a recipe. Can I make anything without a recipe? Yes: Cinnamon toast. 2.) Q. What was your dream growing up? A. To be happy. 3.) Q. What talent do you wish you had? A. I wish I could sing, big time! 4.) Q. Favorite place? A. California (home) 5.) Q. Favorite vegetable? A. Sweet Potato 6.) Q. What was the last book you read? A. To my kids: The Important Book, to myself: Slow Man 7.) Q. What zodiac sign are you? A. Sagittarius, but I put zero stock in signs 8.) Q. Any tattoo's or piercings? A. Yes, both 9.) Q. Worst habit? A. Never cleaning out my car 10.) Q. If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a

A Mile of Butterfly

No, this is not what we did this morning (thank G-d). But I have to give kudos where kudos are due, to Frances and Peter (and if there was someone else someone please enlighten me) for doing a mile of butterfly at the Rinconada meet on Saturday. Rebecca Pinto likes to call this meet the Rinky Dink Meet but, as I'm sure she would agree, there's nothing dinky about 1650 yards of butterfly. Frances and Peter both completed the event in less than 30 minutes. That's about 4 days and 23.5 hours less than swimming a mile of fly would take me. I'm in awe. Here's what we did this morning: *300 free followed by 2x25 kick *300 free followed by 2x50 quick free ~ All free, all broken in half for 2-5 seconds to check time and try to match split on second half. (Interval for Lane 2, on 1:30 base): *1x400 *2x300 *3x200 *4x100 ~ *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three ~ *4x25 fast free with