Skip to main content

Hip Hop Hippity Hop


My 5YO has been taking hip hop from a guy I could tell from day one was a rarity in Menlo Park. After a friend and I attempted to sit through many of Lee's classes for our kids (we were actually bouncing in our seats due to the stellar music), we decided to beg Lee to teach a class for US and our girls (yo).

"Think you can get 10 ladies out here?" he asked.

"Oh. Yah. For sure," my friend and I said. Fer shizit we did! Last night, after many of us nearly fell asleep reading bedtime stories to our little ones, 14 MP Ladies worked it to a fun routine and very loud music (we can still take it!). When it was over, we were left drenched with sweat at 9:30 at night, later than many of us had been up in a while.

It was heaven for me. Long ago I gave up all but the occasional once a year clubbing in the city, and my dance-twitch muscles have been atrophying ever since. The funk has slowly been dying (though I do still crank Rihanna and Eminiem in my minivan), and the camaraderie of dance studios and group routines to music that makes you feel personally and communally ALIVE has been completely lost in my life for 20 years. Dancing in (near) sync with others for me is much like swimming with the team - we all feed off each other, draft and cheat and peek and pull others along with a smile or a strong kick. We work hard together, and fall into a space of pain and pleasure we have happily chosen.

Why I chose more pain this morning I'm not sure, but here was the workout :)

*warmup: 15 minute straight swim free
*5 x 50's stroke or drill free
*15 minute straight swim mod to mod/hard
*10 x 50's stroke or drill free
*10 minute straight swim hard to warm down

Comments

AM! said…
Agreed! need photos!
and I think the harem pants will be purrrrfect;-)
Hey, we do a hyperlocal blog about Menlo Park. Would love to do a story about you and Menlo Masters. linda@inmenlo.com. Sorry to post this in comments but can't figure out how else to contact you. Linda
HammerHead said…
So that's why you wanted a draft this morning...
Unknown said…
I want that guy's name. The ladies of Burlingame need to shake it up too! Love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Oxygen Depletion

I hate fins. Why, as a soccer player, I can't kick or use my legs in the pool, I don't know. But I can't kick. I seem to go backwards when no fins are on my feet, and I feel like my lungs are going to explode when I do use fins. Go figure. Today I'm also losing my left big toenail, which is always a fun sensation while finning. *warm up: 300 free, 200 back to breast, 100 kick, 50 strong add fins for: *3 x 50's free on TIGHT interval (35 s) 150 recovery *3 x 100's free on TIGHT interval (1:10) 150 recovery *3 x 150's on TIGHT interval 150 recovery *3 x 200's on TIGHT interval remove fins for: *150 easy *2 x 50's hard repeat 2x

Tell me about yourself...

This is fun. I don't get to swim on Wednesdays so here's some (mostly) non-swimming information about me that I hope you will not use inappropriately against me. It's really fun to answer these questions if only for yourself. Do it. Then post them here because I'd love to know more about all of you! 1.) Q. Can you cook? A. Well, I can read, so I can follow a recipe. Can I make anything without a recipe? Yes: Cinnamon toast. 2.) Q. What was your dream growing up? A. To be happy. 3.) Q. What talent do you wish you had? A. I wish I could sing, big time! 4.) Q. Favorite place? A. California (home) 5.) Q. Favorite vegetable? A. Sweet Potato 6.) Q. What was the last book you read? A. To my kids: The Important Book, to myself: Slow Man 7.) Q. What zodiac sign are you? A. Sagittarius, but I put zero stock in signs 8.) Q. Any tattoo's or piercings? A. Yes, both 9.) Q. Worst habit? A. Never cleaning out my car 10.) Q. If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a

A Mile of Butterfly

No, this is not what we did this morning (thank G-d). But I have to give kudos where kudos are due, to Frances and Peter (and if there was someone else someone please enlighten me) for doing a mile of butterfly at the Rinconada meet on Saturday. Rebecca Pinto likes to call this meet the Rinky Dink Meet but, as I'm sure she would agree, there's nothing dinky about 1650 yards of butterfly. Frances and Peter both completed the event in less than 30 minutes. That's about 4 days and 23.5 hours less than swimming a mile of fly would take me. I'm in awe. Here's what we did this morning: *300 free followed by 2x25 kick *300 free followed by 2x50 quick free ~ All free, all broken in half for 2-5 seconds to check time and try to match split on second half. (Interval for Lane 2, on 1:30 base): *1x400 *2x300 *3x200 *4x100 ~ *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three ~ *4x25 fast free with