Skip to main content

Guest Blogger Judy~

Hey Friends, it’s Judy Strauss. I’ve recently become a volunteer with Swim Across America (SAA). SAA is a national non-profit organization that raises funds for cancer research programs in major cities from coast to coast through high profile swimming events. In the Bay Area the funds raised go directly to the UCSF Children’s Cancer Survivorship Program and to Children’s Hospital Oakland. ( ~83% of the funds raised go directly to the designated beneficiaries.)

There are two events in the Bay Area this fall. One is next month and it’s a pool event. Here is how it works; groups of people agree to raise money and collectively swim 3000 miles, the distance from coast to coast. The event is all month long. You can have as many people contributing miles as you wish. Each person is asked to raise a minimum of $50.

The other event is a bay swim on October 18. The participants will be dropped off of a ferry boat at the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge, then swim about 1.5 miles to Crissy Field. Each participant is asked to raise $1000.

There are several ways that you can be involved…

1. You can participate in the pool swim. (We will be recording yards at Menlo Masters)
2. You can participate in the bay swim (wetsuits are ok). I’d love it if you joined my team; Sujulojo. You can form your own team or you can swim without a team.
3. You can support someone who is swimming with a donation.
4. You can make a donation to Swim Across America in general.
5. You can volunteer to help on the day of the swim.
6. You can be a corporate sponsor.
7. You can buy advertising in the program.

Your involvement will make a difference! For more information you can go to the website, www.swimacrossamerica.org. You can also contact me at judy@swimacrossamerica.org.

See you at the pool or in the bay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oxygen Depletion

I hate fins. Why, as a soccer player, I can't kick or use my legs in the pool, I don't know. But I can't kick. I seem to go backwards when no fins are on my feet, and I feel like my lungs are going to explode when I do use fins. Go figure. Today I'm also losing my left big toenail, which is always a fun sensation while finning. *warm up: 300 free, 200 back to breast, 100 kick, 50 strong add fins for: *3 x 50's free on TIGHT interval (35 s) 150 recovery *3 x 100's free on TIGHT interval (1:10) 150 recovery *3 x 150's on TIGHT interval 150 recovery *3 x 200's on TIGHT interval remove fins for: *150 easy *2 x 50's hard repeat 2x

Tell me about yourself...

This is fun. I don't get to swim on Wednesdays so here's some (mostly) non-swimming information about me that I hope you will not use inappropriately against me. It's really fun to answer these questions if only for yourself. Do it. Then post them here because I'd love to know more about all of you! 1.) Q. Can you cook? A. Well, I can read, so I can follow a recipe. Can I make anything without a recipe? Yes: Cinnamon toast. 2.) Q. What was your dream growing up? A. To be happy. 3.) Q. What talent do you wish you had? A. I wish I could sing, big time! 4.) Q. Favorite place? A. California (home) 5.) Q. Favorite vegetable? A. Sweet Potato 6.) Q. What was the last book you read? A. To my kids: The Important Book, to myself: Slow Man 7.) Q. What zodiac sign are you? A. Sagittarius, but I put zero stock in signs 8.) Q. Any tattoo's or piercings? A. Yes, both 9.) Q. Worst habit? A. Never cleaning out my car 10.) Q. If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a

A Mile of Butterfly

No, this is not what we did this morning (thank G-d). But I have to give kudos where kudos are due, to Frances and Peter (and if there was someone else someone please enlighten me) for doing a mile of butterfly at the Rinconada meet on Saturday. Rebecca Pinto likes to call this meet the Rinky Dink Meet but, as I'm sure she would agree, there's nothing dinky about 1650 yards of butterfly. Frances and Peter both completed the event in less than 30 minutes. That's about 4 days and 23.5 hours less than swimming a mile of fly would take me. I'm in awe. Here's what we did this morning: *300 free followed by 2x25 kick *300 free followed by 2x50 quick free ~ All free, all broken in half for 2-5 seconds to check time and try to match split on second half. (Interval for Lane 2, on 1:30 base): *1x400 *2x300 *3x200 *4x100 ~ *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three ~ *4x25 fast free with