Skip to main content

Basketball is good too



This weekend I had a great Valentine's Day trip with my son. The two of us flew up to Portland Saturday morning to see our dear friends, one of which is W's best, oldest friend from birth and one of which is the coach of the Portland Pilots basketball team (and WCC Coach of the Year last year, go E!). Along with a weekend full of fun with friends, W got to be a ball boy for the Pilots on Saturday night. I am not exaggerating when I say that I think it was quite possibly the best night of his life to date. We got him there early and he was given a special t-shirt and instructed as to when to wipe up sweat (what could be better for a 7YO boy?). I watched from the stands as he did his job flawlessly (as far as I could tell) and as the ESPN2 cameras captured him on film. The Pilots played amazingly well and took the game into OT for a win that had us all on our feet screaming. W even got pummeled by my favorite player, TJ Campbell, and is now showing off his bruised shoulder with pride.

I also got to spend Valentine's Day with one of my best friends and my godkids, and have a dinner date alone with W in the airport on the way home. We topped it all off with ice cream cones and a snuggly plane ride home.

And finally...this morning, a nice hard swim. Ahhh.

*warmup: 100, 200, 300, 200, 100 free with first and last 25 breast

*4 x 50's hard free on the minute; 300 moderate free
*3 x 50's hard free on the minute, 1 x 50 hard breast (same interval); 300 moderate free with one 50 breast
*2 x 50's hard free on the minute, 2 x 50's hard breast; 300 moderate free with one 100 breast
*4 x 50's hard breast to free on the minute, 300 moderate breast to free

*200 hard free broken at the 50 for 10 seconds

Comments

AM! said…
W must LUV that pic of him on espn. you need to frame it;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Oxygen Depletion

I hate fins. Why, as a soccer player, I can't kick or use my legs in the pool, I don't know. But I can't kick. I seem to go backwards when no fins are on my feet, and I feel like my lungs are going to explode when I do use fins. Go figure. Today I'm also losing my left big toenail, which is always a fun sensation while finning. *warm up: 300 free, 200 back to breast, 100 kick, 50 strong add fins for: *3 x 50's free on TIGHT interval (35 s) 150 recovery *3 x 100's free on TIGHT interval (1:10) 150 recovery *3 x 150's on TIGHT interval 150 recovery *3 x 200's on TIGHT interval remove fins for: *150 easy *2 x 50's hard repeat 2x

Tell me about yourself...

This is fun. I don't get to swim on Wednesdays so here's some (mostly) non-swimming information about me that I hope you will not use inappropriately against me. It's really fun to answer these questions if only for yourself. Do it. Then post them here because I'd love to know more about all of you! 1.) Q. Can you cook? A. Well, I can read, so I can follow a recipe. Can I make anything without a recipe? Yes: Cinnamon toast. 2.) Q. What was your dream growing up? A. To be happy. 3.) Q. What talent do you wish you had? A. I wish I could sing, big time! 4.) Q. Favorite place? A. California (home) 5.) Q. Favorite vegetable? A. Sweet Potato 6.) Q. What was the last book you read? A. To my kids: The Important Book, to myself: Slow Man 7.) Q. What zodiac sign are you? A. Sagittarius, but I put zero stock in signs 8.) Q. Any tattoo's or piercings? A. Yes, both 9.) Q. Worst habit? A. Never cleaning out my car 10.) Q. If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a

A Mile of Butterfly

No, this is not what we did this morning (thank G-d). But I have to give kudos where kudos are due, to Frances and Peter (and if there was someone else someone please enlighten me) for doing a mile of butterfly at the Rinconada meet on Saturday. Rebecca Pinto likes to call this meet the Rinky Dink Meet but, as I'm sure she would agree, there's nothing dinky about 1650 yards of butterfly. Frances and Peter both completed the event in less than 30 minutes. That's about 4 days and 23.5 hours less than swimming a mile of fly would take me. I'm in awe. Here's what we did this morning: *300 free followed by 2x25 kick *300 free followed by 2x50 quick free ~ All free, all broken in half for 2-5 seconds to check time and try to match split on second half. (Interval for Lane 2, on 1:30 base): *1x400 *2x300 *3x200 *4x100 ~ *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three *3x100 on the 1:35, 1:25, 1:20, trying to match pace for all three ~ *4x25 fast free with